Prepare for Your Career as a Seminary Professor or Dean with our Doctor of Philosophy in Biblical Studies Degree Program
The PhD in Biblical Studies program is for those who want to teach in post-secondary theological higher education both nationally and internationally. If you want a program that offers you the advanced knowledge and skills needed to research, write, and make a scholarly contribution to the fields of Old Testament or New Testament Studies, the PhD in Biblical Studies program is for you.
What You'll Learn
- Research and write at an advanced level of biblical scholarship under the functional authority of Scripture.
- Make a scholarly contribution to the field of Old Testament or New Testament Studies.
- Present research results in a professional, organized, coherent, and structured manner in both written and oral form.
- Function responsibly in the context of a supervisory relationship while exhibiting CIU’s core value of victorious Christian living.
Three years of full-time study or five years of part-time study.
Why Study Biblical Studies Online at CIU?
- Program design allows you to focus on research and writing from the beginning of your studies.
- Non-residential modality allows you to pursue your degree without relocating.
- Experienced faculty mentors provide individualized guidance in areas of their particular expertise.
- Accredited regionally by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges and nationally by the Association of Biblical Higher Education.
Graduates with a Ph.D.in Biblical Studies degree can go on to become:
- Instructors and leaders in global theological education
- Seminary and University instructors in North America
- Academic deans
- Consultants on theological education
- Authors and editors
The online Ph.D. in Biblical Studies consists of 45 credit hours.
- BLG 9690 - Biblical Languages Competency Credits: 0
- BIB 9200 - Issues and Methods in Biblical Studies Credits: 3
- BIB 9400 - Principles of Teaching, Learning, and Course Design Credits: 3
- BIB 9900 - Dissertation Proposal Credits: 3
Please note the Research Language I prerequisite for BIB 9901 and the Research Language II prerequisite for BIB 9904
- BIB 9901 - Biblical Studies Dissertation Research I Credits: 6
- BIB 9902 - Biblical Studies Dissertation Research II Credits: 6
- BIB 9903 - Biblical Studies Dissertation Research III Credits: 6
- BIB 9904 - Biblical Studies Dissertation Writing I Credits: 6
- BIB 9905 - Biblical Studies Dissertation Writing II Credits: 6
- BIB 9906 - Biblical Studies Dissertation Review & Defense Credits: 6
- Application Fee
- Official transcript from accredited institution (all graduate level work)
- Completed MA, MDiv, or ThM with 3.5 GPA
- Submit Master’s thesis or major research paper, approximately 5,000-6,000 words (20-24 pages)
- Submit research proposal (approximately 500 words)
- Biblical languages:
- Biblical Studies: New Testament (4 semesters of Greek; 2 semesters of Hebrew)
- Biblical Studies: Old Testament (4 semesters of Hebrew; 2 semesters of Greek)
- 2 Academic References
- Interview with admissions committee
- *International requirements when appropriate