Director of College Counseling
The Director of College Counseling assists Ben Lippen families, students, and prospective families in supporting the academic development of each student in the high school through academic counseling, course selection, standardized testing, and navigating the college admissions process. The Director of College Counseling represents Ben Lippen to universities and is an advocate on behalf of students. This person must have strong interpersonal communications skills as well as the ability to be tactful yet honest in dealing with difficult situations. Strong counseling skills are necessary to assist students and their parents in managing the many stresses of academic and college admissions.
- Lead strategic planning efforts for the Office of College Counseling and ensure the complementarity of these efforts with the larger educational objectives of the school
- Advise students and families through the preparatory and college application process.
- Coordinate and prepare all documents required through the application for each student assigned to the caseload, including an individual letter of recommendation.
- Work effectively one-on-one with students and be able to address small or large gatherings of people to discuss the college admission and research process.
- Work individually with an assigned group of students to assist in college research, finalizing a college list, financial aid resources, scholarships, organization of the application, essay writing, and all documents required in the college application.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of colleges, universities and any changes or shifts in the admissions process. Understand the college admission process at a variety of institution types and selectivity levels.
- Manage Naviance student accounts by sending transcripts, letters of recommendations, school reports and supporting documentation to colleges.
- Inform students of college visits to Ben Lippen’s campus and the greater Columbia area, and open houses, general tours, departmental tours available.
- Schedule and facilitate on-campus college tours for SC colleges & universities as time allows.
- Assist Academic Counselor in meeting with students by grade level each semester to implement College & Career curriculum.
- Meet with current families to discuss academic performance requirements, course selection for desired major in college, and test score requirements.
- Attend and lead College Counseling events/workshops/fair. Some evening and weekend hours will be required.
- Maintain, develop and strengthen relationships with colleges and universities that serve Ben Lippen students.
- Attend CESA, NACAC and other national and state conferences for professional development and networking.
- Assist test coordinator with PSAT, Pre-ACT, school day testing, AP testing and Saturday SAT tests.
- Notify students of Palmetto Boy’s State and Girl’s State deadlines for applications and supporting documents. Appoint a BLS committee for delegate and alternate selections each spring. Submit documentation to each organization.
- Assist and perform other tasks that may be required from time-to-time to promote the school internally and within the community.
- Maintain various data bases of information related to standardized test scores, college acceptances, and other various information.
- Maintain an up-to-date webpage on the school website for all things college-related.
- Coordinate with members of the administrative team and the Registrar to advise students on course selection.
- Fulfill other responsibilities assigned by the Associate Head of School of Academics as deemed appropriate for the position.
- Understanding of graduation requirements and state scholarship requirements
- Extensive computer knowledge; experience with RenWeb and Naviance is a plus
- Interact with a diverse range of formal and informal contacts with courtesy and patience
- Maintain privacy of student records and information
- Critical thinking, problem solving, and organizational skills are necessary
- Confidentiality is a high priority
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with frequent interruptions
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing, including in a public speaking context
- Ability to counsel students and families
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field required, Master’s Degree in a related field preferred.
- Be of strong Christian faith in addition to the aforementioned academic expectations and qualifications. Have a passion for serving children and families through the high calling of Christian education.
- 2 years’ experience in college guidance, college admissions, or related field in a school setting is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working in a diverse international community and strong cross-cultural skills.
- ACSI certification (or willingness to obtain)
BLS/CIU provides a benefits package that includes:
- Health Plan;
- 401(k) plan with match opportunity;
- 100% of employee’s cost of group life insurance;
- Long term disability insurance;
- Vacation days, holidays, sick leave, family leave;
- Educational benefits: tuition reduction for PreK3-Graduate.
Interested and qualified candidates will need to fill out the Ben Lippen Employment Application. The application must be downloaded, printed and completed and submitted to the Headmaster’s office as shown on the last page of the application.
CIU Employment Application CIU Global Adjunct Application Resident Adjunct for the School of Business and Professional Studies Application Resident Adjunct for the College of Arts and Sciences Application Resident Nursing Adjunct for the College of Arts and Sciences Application
Supplemental Form and Instructions
CIU faculty positions will need to submit a curriculum vitae (CV). Once you have completed your online application, you will have an opportunity to submit a cover letter and resume.
Ben Lippen Employment Application (PDF)
BLS Online Studies Adjunct Application
If you are applying for a Ben Lippen position and are unable to download the Ben Lippen application, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 1-800-777-2227 ext. 5009.