1. CIU Admissions Application
2. FSA ID Implementation
On May 10th, the Department of Education (ED) implemented a new login process for student and borrow based websites. The FSA ID will replace the Federal Student Aid PIN and will now be utilized for students and parents to be able to login, access their information, and complete items on www.fafsa.ed.gov, www.nslds.ed.gov, www.studentloans.gov, and www.teach-ats.ed.gov. Please view this reference from ED that guides students and borrowers through creating an FSA ID: http://www.ifap.ed.gov/eannouncements/attachments/050415FSAIDReplaceHowToCreateFSAIDGuideATTACH.pdf
What happened to the Federal Student Aid PIN?
The FSA ID replaces the Federal Student Aid PIN. If you already have a PIN, you can link your information to your new FSA ID by entering your PIN while registering for your FSA ID. (This will save you time when registering for your FSA ID.) However, a PIN is not required to create an FSA ID.
3. FAFSA – The Free Application for Federal Student Aid
The quickest way to apply for federal aid is online through the Web at www.fafsa.ed.gov/.
- New and renewal applicants must apply for a FSA ID . This can be done at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- If you are a dependent student, one parent (whose information is on the FAFSA) will need an FSA ID to sign the application electronically also. Your e-mail for the FSA ID number may come back to you from the U.S. Department of Education or from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov (CIU's school code is 003429)
- You must complete the FAFSA in order to be considered for federal, state, or institutional financial assistance programs. For more tips on completing the FAFSA click here.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien in order to complete the FAFSA. International students do not complete the FAFSA.
- Withiin approximately two weeks after completing the FAFSA, you will receive an email from the CIU Financial Aid Office. You will be able to access the financial aid system by logging into CIU Online with your username and password, then click on the link in the left margin that says "financial aid online."
- Submit the forms and documents necessary to complete your FAFSA. The list of materials to submit is under the "Documents" tab and the forms to submit are under the "Forms" tab.
- Optional 2015-2016 FAFSA on the Web Worksheet.
About thirty perecent of the federal student aid applications are selected for verification. PLease click here for more information on verification.
4. Complete Financial Aid File (Financial Aid Questionnaire & other documents)
- Once you have completed a FAFSA and/or been accepted to CIU you will be able to access the financial aid system online to complete required documents.
- Log in to my.ciu.edu with your username and password. Click on the link that says "financial aid."
- On the home page of the financial aid online site is a tab labeled "documents" this will list all the missing documents needed to complete your financial aid file. Click on the "financial aid questionnaire" link to complete the questionnaire.
- Please submit any documents that are missing. You do not need to submit loan documents (entrance counseling and master promissory note) if you don't plan on utilizing student loans. For more information on student loans please visit federal direct loans.
- If you are selected by the Department of Education for verification. Please complete and submit all necessary documents. For more information please see verification.
5. Accept and/or Decline Awards
Upon receiving a valid FAFSA, the Financial Aid Office will send an email to the student infoming them of any missing documents needed. Once a student's financial aid file is complete the student will be awarded. The student will recive an notification they have been awarded via email. The student will need to login to my.ciu.edu and accept and/or decline the financial aid awards offered. Additional information is available regarding academic progress requirements, the Direct Stafford Loan and PLUS Loan application process, and descriptions of other financial aid programs. Additional forms may be requested. Please read all correspondence carefully and respond to each request in a timely manner.
Here are some additional financial aid tips.