The Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (M.A. TESOL) program prepares professional teachers of English to speakers of other languages with a foundation in the theory and practice of English language teaching. The aim of the program is to prepare theoretically informed and practically equipped, competent, caring, and culturally sensitive ESOL teachers and leaders for domestic and international K-12th grade and adult classrooms. Upon completing this program students can be recommended to receive ACSI certification in TESOL.
The M.A. TESOL program is designed to:
- Prepare professional teachers of English to speakers of other languages with the necessary knowledge base and skills to teach in an effective, culturally sensitive way.
- Prepare graduates to take up leadership roles in the field of TESOL.
On completion of the M.A. TESOL program, the graduate will be able to demonstrate:
- Command of the concepts and terminology of the major divisions of descriptive linguistics in order to be able to put them to use in the language classroom.
- Ability to develop curriculum for English language learners (ELLs).
- Ability to implement an appropriate language program at a North American and/or an international school setting.
- Ability to assess ELLs’ language proficiency level in order to design appropriate instruction and adopt appropriate teaching strategies.
- Demonstration of the dispositions of Christian educators.
- Professional knowledge of English grammar.
- Ability to teach listening, speaking, reading, and writing at novice, intermediate, and advanced levels of proficiency.
- Ability to develop and evaluate language teaching materials.
- Ability to plan language courses and assess all areas of language skills for the purpose of proficiency, placement, and achievement testing.
- Understanding of the dynamic cultural forces which affect life and ministry in a multicultural setting
- Ability to use English teaching as a ministry.
Get started today.
Teaching opportunities include:
- ACSI accredited K-12 international school overseas
- English at overseas public K-12 schools or private K-12 schools
- North American Christian schools
- American public schools, depending on the law of the state:
- If you hold an initial teaching certification in elementary education, secondary education, or other area, this program will lead to a master's degree and TESOL endorsement in some states.
- In some states, if initial certification in TESOL is issued, graduates might be able to apply for the teaching certification in TESOL in that state depending on the law of that state.
- Adult English language program housed in North American public schools
- Teaching English at overseas universities or language institute
- English Language program for international students at North American (or English-speaking country) community college or high education institutions
- Teaching English at a professional level all over the world (in both English-speaking and non-English-speaking countries).
M.A. TESOL Program Director
B.A., Guizhou University, P.R. China; M.A., Oral Roberts University; Ph.D., Mississippi State UniversityRead More...
B.A., Wheaton College; M.A.T., Rollins College; Ed.D., University of MiamiRead More...
William Lindsay Hislop
B.A., Columbia Bible College; M.A., Ph.D., University of South CarolinaRead More...
Milton V. Uecker
Associate Dean of the College of Education
B.A., Suffolk University; M.A., Miami University; Ed.D. University of VirginiaRead More...