Skip to main content

Can I go straight into teaching English at a public or private high school or middle school with the Applied English major?

Probably not.  Teaching at the high school or middle school level in public schools in the United States or in internationally accredited schools requires various forms of certification, which generally can be met with study beyond the undergraduate level.

Christian private schools generally require ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) certification, which can also be obtained with further course work (offered at CIU).  Students seeking ACSI certification will want to get additional advising to determine how the requirements can be met in a timely manner. 

However, it should be noted: teaching positions are many, and the number of qualified teachers is not sufficient to meet the demand.  Options are available, both in the United States and internationally, for receiving certification after having begun teaching.