1. CIU Admissions Application
2. FAFSA – The Free Application for Federal Student Aid
The quickest way to apply for federal aid is online through the Web at www.fafsa.ed.gov/.
- Both new and renewal applicants can complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid by accessing this site.
- New applicants must apply for a pin number to sign the FAFSA on-line. Before completing your FAFSA you need to register for a PIN at www.pin.ed.gov if you do not have one.
- If you are a dependent student, one parent (whose information is on the FAFSA) will need a pin number to sign the application electronically also. Your e-mail for the pin number may come back to you from the U.S. Department of Education or from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov (CIU's school code is 003429)
- You must complete the FAFSA in order to be considered for federal, state, or institutional financial assistance programs. For more tips on completing the FAFSA click here.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien in order to complete the FAFSA. International students do not complete the FAFSA.
- Withiin approximately two weeks after completing the FAFSA, you will receive an email from the CIU Financial Aid Office. You will be able to access the financial aid system by logging into CIU Online with your username and password, then click on the link in the left margin that says "financial aid online."
- Submit the forms and documents necessary to complete your FAFSA. The list of materials to submit is under the "Documents" tab and the forms to submit are under the "Forms" tab.
- Optional 2013-2014 FAFSA on the Web Worksheet.
About a third of the federal student aid applications are selected for further review. If a student is selected the Financial Aid Office will request a Verification Worksheet from your family along with additional tax information. Federal aid cannot be paid until the review is complete, so return these forms promptly. Only send verification information if your application was selected for review.
3. Complete Financial Aid File (Financial Aid Student Form & other documents)
- Once you have completed a FAFSA and/or been accepted to CIU you will be able to access the financial aid system online to complete required documents.
- Log in to CIU Online with your username and password. Click on the link in the left margin that says "financial aid online."
- On the home page of the financial aid online site is a table labeled "documents" this will list all the missing documents needed to complete your financial aid file. Click on the "complete it now" link to complete the CIU scholarship application online.
- Please submit any documents that are missing. You do not need to submit loan documents (entrance counseling and master promissory note) if you don't plan on utilizing student loans. For more information on student loans please visit federal direct loans.
- If you are selected bu the Department of Education for verification. Please complete and submit all necessary documents. For more information please see verification.
4. Accept and/or Decline Awards
Upon receiving a valid FAFSA, the Financial Aid Office will send an email to the student infoming them of any missing documents needed. Once a student's financial aid file is complete the student will be awarded. The student will recive an notification they have been awarded via email. The student will need to login to CIU Online and accept and/or decline the financial aid awards offered. Additional information is available regarding academic progress requirements, the Direct Stafford Loan and PLUS Loan application process, and descriptions of other financial aid programs. Additional forms may be requested. Please read all correspondence carefully and respond to each request in a timely manner.
Here are some additional financial aid tips.