1. Who may participate?
2. How do I register?
3. What costs are involved with the weekend?
4. Are parents welcome to attend?
5. Where will my parents stay?
6. What should I pack?
7. Who will I be staying with on campus?
8. Is there a dress code for the event?
9. How soon will the winner be announced?
10. If I am unable to attend the weekend, will I still receive financial aid?
11. Is there a schedule of events?
12. Do I have to attend all of the events?
13. What will the weather will be like?
14. What are the requirements for the Leadership Resume?
15. How do I submit my transcript and SAT or ACT scores?
1. Who may participate? [Go to the top]
All high school seniors with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and an SAT score (math and critical reading) of 1000+ or an ACT score of 21+ are eligible to apply. Students wishing to participate in the scholarship weekend must complete the registration form, CIU undergraduate admissions application and application fee, Christian experience essay, and a one-page leadership resume. Test scores and unofficial high school transcripts must also be submitted. The deadline to complete all registration items is Thursday, October 31st, 2013.
3. What costs are involved with the weekend? [Go to the top]
It's free! The only cost incurred by students participating in the weekend is travel to and from Columbia. All housing, meals and events are covered for students. Meals are provided for parents, as well. Students who choose to fly into Columbia will be picked up and returned to the airport by members of the CIU staff and student body.
4. Are parents welcome to attend? [Go to the top]
Although parents and family members are not required to attend, we do encourage them to visit CIU with you. We will prepare events and activities during the weekend especially for them.
7. Who will I be staying with on Campus? [Go to the top]
You will be staying in a CIU residence hall with either a current student or another scholarship weekend participant. You will receive your room assignment when you arrive on campus for the scholarship weekend.
8. Is there a dress code for the event? [Go to the top]
You will need a combination of casual and formal clothing for activities during the weekend. For most activities, men are required to wear casual slacks (no jeans/shorts), and women are required to wear dress slacks or skirts (no jeans/shorts). For the Saturday luncheon, formal attire is required: men, please wear a tie; ladies, please wear a skirt, dress, or dress slacks. Students will be able to wear jeans/shorts/casual wear at times. Please bring one outfit for our outside group activity (tennis shoes, casual wear, light jacket).
10. If I am unable to attend the weekend, will I still receive financial aid? [Go to the top]
Yes; you may still be eligible for federal, state, and institutional aid. However, to be eligible for the R.C. McQuilkin Leadership Scholarship, you must attend this weekend event.
11. Is there a schedule of events? [Go to the top]
Individual schedules will be designed for each participant. The overall schedule may be viewed on our McQuilkin Scholarship Weekend registration page.
14. What are the requirements for the Leadership Essay? [Go to the top]
The leadership resume is a one-page document highlighting your school, church, and community involvement.
15. How do I submit my transcript and SAT or ACT scores? [Go to the top]
Contact your high school guidance office and request an unofficial copy of your transcript be either mailed (7435 Monticello Road, Columbia, SC 29203) or faxed (803-223-2500) to CIU. After you have graduated from high school, you will need to submit an official copy of your transcript to CIU if you plan to attend.
When you take your SAT or ACT, you can request that your score be sent to CIU. Another way to send CIU your score is through College Board for the SAT and through ACT, Inc. for the ACT. Screen shots that include the URL, student name, and scores will be accepted.
Still have questions? Please call us at (800) 777-2227, ext. 5024.