This program prepares professional teachers of English to speakers of other languages with a foundation in the theory and practice of English language teaching. You will be trained to be a practically equipped, competent, caring, and culturally sensitive ESOL teacher and leader for domestic and international K-12th grade and adult classrooms. Completion of this program offers the opportunity to be recommended to receive ACSI certification in TESOL.
The M.A. TESOL proram is designed to:
- Prepare professional teachers of English to speakers of other languages withe the necessary knowledge base and skills to teach in an effective, culturally sensitive way.
- Prepare graduates to take up leadership roles in the fiels of TESOL.
On completion of the M.A. TESOL program, the graduate will demonstrate:
- Command of the concepts and terminology of the major divisions of descriptive linguistics in order to put them to use in the language classroom.
- Ability to develop curriculum for English language learners (ELLs).
- Ability to implement an appropriate language program in a North American and/or international school setting.
- Ability to assess ELLs’ language proficiency level in order to design appropriate instruction and adopt appropriate teaching strategies.
- Dispositions of Christian educators.
- Professional knowledge of English grammar.
- Ability to teach listening, speaking, reading, and writing at novice, intermediate, and advanced levels of proficiency.
- Ability to develop and evaluate language teaching materials.
- Ability to plan language courses and assess all areas of language skills for the purpose of proficiency, placement, and achievement testing.
- Understanding of the dynamic cultural forces which affect life and ministry in a multicultural setting
- Ability to use English teaching as a ministry.
Graduates of this program will be prepared for:
- ACSI accredited K-12 international school overseas
- English at overseas public K-12 schools or private K-12 schools
- North American Christian schools
- American public schools, depending on the law of the state:
- If you hold an initial teaching certification in elementary education, secondary education, or other area, this program will lead to a master's degree and TESOL endorsement in some states.
- In some states, if initial certification in TESOL is issued, graduates may be able to apply for the teaching certification in TESOL in that state depending on the law of that state.
- Adult English language program housed in North American public schools
- Teaching English at overseas universities or language institute
- English Language program for international students at North American (or English-speaking country) community college or higher education institutions
- Teaching English at a professional level all over the world (in both English-speaking and non-English-speaking countries).
|||Offered in a traditional format on our Columbia campus.|
Get started today.
Course requirements and suggested program of study
Frequently Asked Questions
Request more information