Skip to main content

What is the difference between an I-20 and an F-1 visa?

The I-20 document is created by a Columbia International University Designated School Official (DSO) and is used directly by the student at the U.S. Embassy to obtain an F-1 visa.  The F-1 visa is then used at the border or port of entry to allow the student to enter the country.  The I-20 is then used to keep the student legal in the U.S.